How to decorate garden in home?
A homestead or a garden plot outside the city is a place for relaxation, recuperation. Every owner strives to make it comfortable for recreation, aesthetically attractive. Work on the dacha and the design of the site – it is not so much physical labor, as a fascinating creative process that brings satisfaction.
Consider how to decorate the garden with your own hands, and what interesting ideas landscape designers offer.
A garden immersed in flowers
Tips from the designers
Before proceeding to the works on the homestead territory, it is necessary to decide on the stylistics of design. Making a decision, guided by the design of the house and personal tastes.
Should heed the advice of landscape designers in matters of compositional planning of the territory:
- Experts recommend making a plan of the site and put on a scale on it the main zones, places for the installation of small architectural forms. Harmonious ensemble is created on the basis of a general compositional solution. This includes the layout of the site, zoning, highlighting the compositional center. On the scheme mark the focal point, which is viewed from different sides, including from the windows of the house.
- It is important to observe the proportions. Individual details of the landscape and plants should not overlap each other. It is correct to arrange the composition so as to maintain perspective. High plants are planted mainly along the perimeter of the plot, or use them for zoning, for example, the economic zone.
- Individual elements of the decor of the garden can be repeated, as if forming a stylistic leitmotif. These can be garden paths made of wildwood, sawn logs, pergolas with climbing plants.
- Ergonomics, the planning of space for ease of use is an important element in the design of the site. For example, the height of the garden bench should correspond to the average height, and the width of the pathway should allow to move around the site in uninhibited conditions.
These tips from landscape designers will help you choose the right direction for the design of the area and decide how to beautifully decorate the garden plot.
Decorations for the garden made of stones
Feral stone, boulders, gravel are part of the natural landscape, so they fit seamlessly into the landscape of the homestead plot.
They serve as an excellent decor for the garden. For example, the famous Japanese “stone gardens” – a sacred place. The area, studded with gravel and installed boulders – a place of philosophical meditations, meditation. Stone elements of decor are mostly used in style, close to the natural landscape. This is a mandatory element of the Scandinavian style of site design.
Advantages of the material:
- a variety of shapes, color shades, textures;
- durability and longevity;
- ease of operation.
These characteristics allow to use the material for many compositional solutions, the creation of small architectural forms (MAF). Stone – an indispensable material for the device sites with uneven topography.
Most often used for the arrangement of:
- garden paths;
- garden ponds, streams;
- gabions (metal net containers for stones);
- cascades for areas with slopes;
- alpine slopes;
- borders of flowerbeds;
- high beds;
- fireplaces; open hearths;
- resting places, fences.
Different types of fractions of stones and garden plants are used to make artistic compositions. Pebbles and flat polished stone serve as a material for the design of garden furniture, mosaic stone compositions.
Stone elements are organically combined with wrought iron. Usually they decorate the tabletop, the seats of garden furniture. Transparent epoxy resin is used as a fixing compound. Through it, the texture of the stones is perfectly visible.
How to make paths from wild stone
Garden paths made of savage are laid out only of stone, or leave a gap between them. Lawn grass is sown in them.
Sequence of actions:
- Making a marking.
- Remove the top layer of turf to a depth of 20 cm.
- Install borders (a tree, curb tape).
- Place geotextile on the bottom of the bed. It prevents shrinkage of the track cushion, soil erosion.
- Make a gravel-sand cushion. First fill crushed stone (10 cm), lightly compacted, then the sand.
- Pour the sand with water, tamp it.
- Laying of the rock.
Taking into account the shrinkage of the pillow, the material is purchased with a reserve. Lay the savage and on the sand-concrete mixtures. The gap between the plates can be sprinkled with a small fraction of stones.
Pillow under the mosaic panel of pebbles, stones-heads are made according to a similar scheme. Then, according to the drawing in the sand rib stacking stones, close to each other. Bury them partially in a layer of sand. Then concrete mixture is poured (on third of the height of stones). Cover until hardened with a tarpaulin cloth. Cures the panel for 1-2 her, up to complete drying requires two weeks. Clean the seams with a metal brush. This is time-consuming and labor-intensive work, but the effect of the mosaic panel is worth the expense.
How to beautifully decorate the garden plot without spending a lot of money? A beautiful mosaic decor is the optimal solution. Even chaotically arranged pieces of tile – a bright, original finish. To create a mosaic decor use leftover ceramic tiles. You can inexpensively buy unconditioned tiles in construction markets.
Prior to laying ceramic tiles are crushed. Depending on where you will lay out a mosaic panel using different adhesive mixtures. Wall compositions can be laid on ceramic tile adhesive, floor – on concrete-cement mixtures. Making a cushion of tracks and a mosaic carpet is the same as for the trails of savage. Previously drawn sketch of a mosaic panel on the sand will greatly facilitate the work.
Smalt (dulled burnt glass) is another material for creating mosaic paintings, decoration of garden furniture, small architectural forms. As an adhesive using epoxy resins, liquid transparent nails.
Small architectural forms of a garden plot
MAFs perform practical and decorative functions.
The decorative include:
- fountains, ponds, streams;
- statues, flowerpots, columns, rotundas;
- decorative bridges;
- children’s houses, artificial grottos.
Combine the functionality and at the same time help to decorate the suburban area:
- lighting elements;
- equipped places of active and passive recreation: sports fields, gazebos for recreation, barbecues, benches;
- stylized garbage cans for garbage;
- garden furniture.
Elements of landscape gardening:
- pergolas for ampelous plants;
- alpine gardens;
- flowerbeds, terraces;
- rutaria (stump decoration);
- rockeries (stone compositions);
- flowerbeds, including those in the form of tiers.
The limited space of the site requires the selection of only those elements that are most relevant. Use vertical flowerbeds, terraces, alpine slides.
Rutarium with his own hands
Many garden plots have old trees that have ceased to bear fruit. They are cut down. It is quite difficult to uproot the roots. The stump of an old tree is a good basis for creating a bed. The easiest way to transform a stump is to clean out the core, remove the bark. Then pour boiling water over the stump to kill pests. After the tree dries, impregnate the surface with antiseptics. It is better to cover the wood with varnish, resin, stain, they will prevent the destruction of wood. Lining the inner surface with geotextile, lay a layer of drainage, fill with soil, plant plants. The area around the rutarium is decorated with boulders, tree branches – they will complement the composition.
For the rutarium device specially brought stumps, snags are used. They are used to make complex garden decors, including tiered ones.
Stone garden decorations
Stone landscape decors can be purchased in the “garden, vegetable garden” department of grocery stores. But it is much more interesting to make them with your own hands. Stones – not an exclusive material, they can be found directly on the site, in the surrounding areas.
Decorate the suburban landscape miniature castle with turrets, an artificial grotto of boulders, a fountain of stones, a vase for a mini flower bed. For such compositions are often used uneven terrain, unsuitable for growing plants, the device vegetable garden.
MAFs are made according to the following scheme:
- Prepare a cushion of gravel, sand, preliminarily remove the top layer of soil. The thickness of the pillow depends on the weight of the structure. For massive structures the foundation is poured of concrete.
- Metal wire, reinforcement bars of different cross-sections (depending on the load) are used to make a frame for the shape of the future MAF.
- Along the contour of the form laid stones on cement mortar. In the work it is necessary to do intervals to have time to set the mortar.
The composition will be more effective if you spend illumination inside the structure, install lighting.
Original and budgetary decorate the cottage
Professionally planned landscape design includes many elements: a scheme, visualization, irrigation and drainage system, a map of soils and plants. But you can somewhat simplify the process and make a beautiful plot with your own hands.
With the help of flowers
It is difficult to imagine a homestead territory without flower beds. Preliminary planning and features of the topography will prompt how and where to arrange flower beds.
Select plants so that the low flowers were on the perimeter of the bed and the gradual transition to the higher ones. Systems of beds and mixborders on a fairly large plot are called modular flower beds.
Arabesque flowerbeds, parterres designed as a patterned multicolored carpet of flowers look unsurpassed. For this purpose, medium- and low-growing flowering plants are more suitable.
Before proceeding to the formation of such a flowerbed, it is necessary to make a layout scheme with a map of plants.
How to decorate a garden plot of small size or with a relief with variations? For these purposes, it is better to use cascade, tiered, vertical flowerbeds. Flowerbeds of this type will be an adornment of any homestead territory. Cascades are arranged on a land plot with pronounced drops. Order of work:
- Remove the top layer of soil.
- Form the cascade drops.
- Then strengthen them with stone, wooden or concrete supports, by sinking them into the soil of the next tier.
- Fill the fertile layer of soil.
- Plant plants.
Tiered flowerbeds do in a similar way, but to create them use specially made containers of different sizes.
Vertical flower beds can be installed on existing fences, or frame construction with containers is made under them. Such flowerbeds – a wonderful decor, one of the ways of zoning.
To emphasize the line of garden paths, floral borders, mixborders, ribbon flower beds are used. Mostly planted in them low plants, so they do not overlap the panoramic view.
Alpine slides, rockeries made of stones and rutaria act as separate elements of the overall composition. Flowers in hanging planters – an additional effective touch of landscape design. They are placed on the terrace, in the pergola for recreation.